I am always up for a good party, as many of you who grew up with me can remember the three-day parties at 104 High Street. But since those days things have changed and it’s more important than ever to be aware of your personal safety. Notting Hill Carnival is one of the oldest carnivals held in Europe and has been the pinnacle of fun at the end of summer for as long as I can remember. I can’t wait. But to make the most out of your weekend make sure you take the following precautions and keep yourself, your friends and your family safe.
- Do not over-indulge in alcohol and make sure that you are well hydrated with other sources of non-alcoholic beverages.
- Be very careful what you eat and where you eat from – make sure that foods have been handled well by the vendors you go to and that the meats are thoroughly cooked. We love jerk chicken, but food poisoning can be very dangerous.
- You should wear sensible footwear. With stray glass and debris on the ground cuts can easily get infected.
- If you sense trouble/danger, do not go towards it – move away from it quickly and calmly.
- Be very careful of your valuables. We want to look our best at carnival, and show off our bling – but it’s a great opportunity for pickpockets.
- Always have an exit strategy and be very aware of your surroundings. Arrange a meeting point for if you become separated from your friends – phone signal can be unreliable in big crowds.
If you follow these guidelines you’re going to have a fantastic time soaking up the Caribbean atmosphere and catching the last of the summer rays. Have a fantastic weekend!